Monday, May 30, 2011

Home made green enchilada sauce

Green Enchilada Sauce


I love making green enchilada casserole, but I used to always use this stuff for my sauce.





Until one of my best friends Ana taught me how to make the 'real' stuff. It is very simple and makes a huge difference so I thought I'd share :)



2-3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, minced
5-6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 green peppers, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and membranes unless you want it spicy (you can even use a Serrano for some real spice!)
1 1/2 lb. tomatillos, husked and quartered
1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
4 c. chicken broth


In a large saucepan or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until tender and fragrant.

While onions are sauteing, combine tomatillos, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro in your blender. Process until smooth; you may have to do it in batches and/or add some chicken broth to make things blendable.

Pour the tomatillo mixture over the onions and garlic and add chicken broth, salt & pepper. Simmer 15 minutes-1 hour, depending on the consistency you want. I usually turn the heat to high and boil it uncovered until I reach the consistency I want; it makes things go a lot faster. The sauce can also be simmered in a slow cooker all day.

Serve over tacos, as an enchilada sauce, inside burritos, or as a dip for chips.




When using as a dip for chips I love adding the sauce to the blender with some salt and a few avocados. Seriously best dip ever!!

No comments: